Military deposit not on file


Q. As I am approximately two years from retirement, I just filed for and received my retirement estimate from my agency. I received no credit for my four years of military service, which I previously made a deposit for in 2001-02. I have copies of my leave and earnings statement showing this. I transferred agencies in 2002 (Immigration & Naturalization to Transportation Security Administration), shortly after completing deposit and never received any receipt from I&NS.

My agency HR states they can’t help as they don’t have access to these records. They advised me to contact the Office of Personnel Management. Please advise as to what I should do, who to contact and how I can correct this matter.

A. Call OPM’s Retirement Information Office at 1-888-767-6738 or 1-724-794-2005 and talk of one of their benefits specialists.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply