FERS annuity calculation


Q. I served a combined 10 years between military and civil service. I also paid the lump sum for my military time when I worked for the post office. How do I figure out my pension, and how do I go about getting it since I no longer work for the government?

A. Assuming that you didn’t take a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you can apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. To do that, you’ll have to complete form RI 92-19, Application for Deferred or Postponed Annuity, Federal Employees Retirement System, available at www.opm.gov, click on Forms. Your annuity would be computed using this formula: .01 x your high-3 on the day you left x your years and full months of service (including active-duty service for which you made a deposit).


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply