Foreign work and government pension


Q. I am a U.S. citizen by birth and retired under CSRS in about 2006 after 27 years at the EPA. Since then, I have consulted part time via contracts with Environment Canada and Health Canada. Now Health Canada has asked if I would like to work there temporarily (not to exceed 90 days a year) as a staff member about one day per week. (It’s not clear whether Health Canada’s policies would allow it.) Does this affect my government pension?

A. No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply