CSRS Offset and Social Security


Q. I am under CSRS Offset. I am eligible for Social Security under my own record, but also under my husband’s.

Can offset in CSRS be taken from my record if I take my husband’s record, or will it take the offset off my husband’s record? Social Security said I would get more under my husband’s record than my own. So I am wondering if I never apply for my record if my offset will increase each year I don’t take it.

A. When you turn 62, your CSRS annuity will automatically be reduced by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while a CSRS Offset employee. (This is a one-time, permanent reduction in your CSRS annuity.) At the same time, you will be entitled to a Social Security benefit based on your entire Social Security-covered work history. You may, if you wish, elect to receive a Social Security spousal benefit based on your husband’s work history. You would then receive the larger of the two benefits.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply