Resignation and matching funds


Q. If I resign at age 51 with 25 years of service, will I lose the government matching funds that went into my Thrift Savings Plan? Will I be able to receive a deferred annuity at age 62? What would that be — 25 percent of high-3?

A. Reg: Because you have at least 20 years of service, you could apply for a deferred annuity at age 60. Since each year of service would be worth 1 percent, with 25 years, your annuity would be 25 percent of the high-3 you had on the day you left government.

Mike: Agency matching contributions are not subject to a vesting requirement and are not forfeited at termination.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply