Q. I am 62 years and 10 months old with 21 years in civil service. I converted to nonappropriated funds four years ago but kept my FERS retirement plan. I am also a retired disabled veteran. I received a reduction-in-force notice due to my garrison closing. Assigned employees in the closing garrison were not offered Voluntary Early Retirement Authority/Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay, but nearby communities were. What is the best course of action in this matter?

A. That’s like calling a stranger in another city and asking him what’s the best route for you to take to get out of your own city during rush hour. Only you can figure that out. Keep your eyes and ears open and discuss the options with your co-workers.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply