Job outside FS while working for FS


Q. I have an employee who plans to continue working for the Forest Service while teaching archaeology at a local community college. What do he and I have to do for authorization to have him work outside his present job? Can he?

A. For a primer on the ethics of outside employment and activities, go to After you’ve read that, check with your agency’s ethics officer.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply