Q. I am a federal employee who was a temporary firefighter for two years, then because of the hiring freeze, I was let go. I have been rehired under FERS-RAE. I was told that I can buy back my previous two years. Can I? If I buy the time back, can I be placed back into the FERS retirement system or do I have to stay in the FERS-RAE?

A. No, you can’t be placed in FERS because you don’t meet one of the exceptions. Even if you make a deposit to get credit for that temporary service, you’ll remain in FERS RAE.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply