Calculating the special retirement supplement


Q. I retired under a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority with 24 years of service. I’m supposed to start receiving my special retirement supplement when I turn 56, my minimum retirement age. I don’t know how much the supplement will be or how to calculate it. How can I find out how much my SRS will come to?

A. The best anyone can do is approximate the amount. To do that, use the following formula: Take the Social Security estimate provided by the Social Security Administration, divide it by 40, and multiply the product by the number of years you were a FERS employee, rounded to the nearest whole number. Do not include active duty service for which you’ve made a deposit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply