High-3 and part-time work


Q. I am a part-time employee (20 hours per week) and have been for 17 years. But I worked full time previously for seven years. If I retire at age 62 with 30 or so years and go full time my last three years at GS-12, will I get the high-3 even with part-time previously worked?

A. Whether you stay part-time or go full-time, the high-3 used in your annuity computation will be based on the full-time rate of basic pay for your position. The amount you receive in your annuity will be prorated to account for your less than full-time service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply