Notification of changes to SF-50


Q. As a term employee, I was hired on a straight four-term period. Subsequently, management determined an error in the hiring process and, 60 days later, the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center made a correction to my SF-50. The changes were conducted without notification to me either by management or CPAC. Is there a requirement to notify employees of any changes to their employment status or changes to their SF-50?

A. While the change was required, it would have been a courtesy for management to let you know why they corrected your SF-50.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. How does OPM determine my high 3? My LES changed mid year yet I do not have a SF-50 for this. Should I have an SF-50 for each change in pay?

    • Yes, you should receive an SF-50 for each change in pay. As for your high-3, OPM determines it by taking the average of the basic pay you received over 78 consecutive pay periods.

Leave A Reply