Disability retirement


Q. I am a disabled veteran with seven years of federal service. My duties at my job are making my disabilities (70 percent from Veterans Affairs) worse. I’m going to ask for accommodations soon. If they cannot accommodate me, then I think they must reclassify my job, right? If they can’t reclassify me, do I get to medically retire? I work for the Defense Logistics Agency.

A. The fact that you might lose your job because you can’t be accommodated isn’t enough. You have to apply for disability retirement and be approved by the Office of Personnel Management.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply