Deferred retirement


Q. I’ve been a federal employee for more than five years and plan to retire using deferred retirement. Am I eligible to retire using this retirement? I know I won’t get my deferred annuity until I reach 62 years old. What are the requirements for using this retirement plan? I have read that I need to leave my contribution in to retire. What is this contribution? My Thrift Savings Plan or others?

A. You would be entitled to a deferred retirement at age 62 if you don’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions. Whether you do or don’t ask for a refund of your TSP contributions would have no effect on that.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply