Leaving law enforcement but staying in federal government


Q. I have approximately 12 years as an 1811 and am considering leaving the covered position for another position within the federal government with no special provisions. I understand if I do that, the time spent in the noncovered position is calculated at standard rate, but when/if I retire under traditional FERS coverage, will my first 12 years as a law enforcement officer be calculated at the LEO rate and then the rest at the standard rate? So will my retirement be calculated in a sort of hybrid mix of FERS LEO and regular FERS?

A. Your entire annuity will be computed using the standard formula: .01 x your high-3 x your years and full months of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply