Survivor annuity


Q. Am I and my sister entitled to our mother’s retirement from the Postal Service after her passing? She is not married.

A. Although you aren’t entitled to her annuity, the two of you are entitled to receive any retirement contributions she made to the retirement system that haven’t already been returned in her monthly annuity payments. To claim those, you need to report her death to the Office of Personnel Management. Give them a call at 888-767-6738 or 724-794-2005.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply