Federal retiree health benefits


Q. My husband retired from the federal government 10 years ago. He has had health insurance through my company for the past 23 years. I have lost my job through a reduction in force and now need to explore options for health care. Do we have any options through his retirement benefits? He is 64, I am 55 and we have two children living at home, 24 and 21.

A. Unfortunately, no. Only employees can enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program. And he would have to have been enrolled in FEHB for the five consecutive years before he retired to carry that coverage into retirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply