Buyback and temporary employment


Q. I am a Postal Service letter carrier in Lake Worth, Fla. I started in 1990, but was not made a career employee until Aug. 6, 1994. From Sept. 25, 1990, until Aug. 6, 1994, I worked both as an NTE (casual) and a temporary employee. Can I buy back these four years so that I would have 23 years of service with the USPS, and therefore needing seven years before I can retire with a full retirement. As of now, I have 19 years in.

A. No, you can’t make a deposit to get credit for that period of employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply