Social Security supplement eligibility


Q. I retired from the military with 20 years of service, retired from the state of California with seven years, and worked under three years as a Defense Department federal employee, resigning in 2011. Do I qualify for the Social Security supplement?

A. If you are referring to the special retirement supplement for federal civilian retirees, the answer is no. You would have to meet the age and service requirements to retire on an immediate annuity to get that, and you don’t. If you are referring to Social Security’s supplemental security income, it’s unlikely that you’d qualify for it. For more information about that, go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply