Restoring FERS payout


Q. I started government employment in 1984. A few years later, I left the government and cashed out the FERS retirement money. I then went back into government employment and started my FERS savings again. Can I buy back what I cashed out to add/restore number of years in service lost for retirement computations?

A. Yes.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

1 Comment

  1. To begin the process, go to and download SF-3108, “Application to Make Service Credit Payment (Federal Employees Retirement System).” After you complete your part, it goes to your HR Office. They complete their part, send it to OPM, and you will get a statement telling you how much you need to Redeposit.

Leave A Reply