Q. I have GEHA health insurance and primary and Tricare Standard as secondary coverage. When I reach age 65, my wife will be 64. Thus, how will Medicare apply to she and I? Must I keep my Federal Employees Health Benefits insurance until she is 65 to be covered by Medicare? I think my Tricare coverage will convert over to Tricare for Life at 65.

A. At age 65, you will be entitled to Medicare Part A coverage and have the option of enrolling in Part B. However, if you want to continue your Tricare coverage, you will have to enroll in Part B and pay the premiums.

Without your self-and-family FEHB coverage, your wife would be out in the cold. Since you have told me nothing about your wife’s eligibility for Medicare Part A coverage, you’ll have to check with the Social Security Administration. Give them a call at 1-800-772-1213. Like everyone else, she is eligible to enroll in Medicare Part B and pay the premiums.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply