Salary increase and term employee


Q. I am a government employee not to exceed five years. I am eligible for benefits and furloughs. Am I also eligible for a step increase or within-grade increase?

A. According to the Office of Personnel Management, “WGIs apply only to GS employees occupying permanent positions. ‘Permanent position’ means a position filled by an employee whose appointment is not designated as temporary and does not have a definite time limitation of 1 year or less.”


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply