Early retirement


Q. I am 52 years old with 32 years of service as a letter carrier in the Postal Service. Are early-outs offered at this time? If not, are there other options of retirement even with a penalty?

A. If you want an immediate annuity, your only option is an early-out. If one if offered to you by your agency, you have the age and service needed to take it. If you are willing to wait for an annuity, you could resign and apply for a deferred annuity at age 56. However, it would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you are under age 60.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply