Severance pay


Q. I have been in the federal government for 15 years and now my position (excepted service) is being abolished through a reduction in force.

1. If I take the severance pay, does that turn my involuntary separation into a voluntary one?

2. If I take the severance pay, do I lose my 15 years of service if I get re-employed with a federal job?

A. 1. No, it doesn’t. 2. No, you won’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply