Health insurance and retiring out of state


Q. I work as a carrier in Minnesota. I have 31 years and seven months in, including five years military. I am planning on retiring and moving to Wisconsin. How will that affect our health insurance? Do we sign up again in Wisconsin under the federal health plan?

A. If you are in a governmentwide fee-for-service plan, you don’t need to do anything. If you are in an HMO or point-of-service plan, you’ll first need to see whether the plan you are now enrolled in provides service in the place where you are moving. If it does, fine. If it doesn’t, you’ll have to enroll in another plan. If that’s the case, when you take your retirement application to your personnel office, ask them how to go about selecting a new plan and completing the paperwork to do that.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply