Retiring from overseas


Q. Since my high-3 occurred in San Antonio between 2005 and 2009, will my locality pay associated with that period be incorporated into my retirement pay if I elected to retire immediately after returning to the U.S., or will I have to take an assignment in the U.S. and remain on station for a year to receive the locality pay of that region?

A. Your high-3 is based on your highest three consecutive years of average basic pay, regardless of when they occur in your career.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply