Military buyback


Q. I am a soon-to-retire air traffic controller under CSRS. Pre-1982. I started paying back my military time. It has been determined that I will never qualify for Social Security. How do I get back the monies I paid in? I stopped payment before full amount owed.

A. Because you didn’t complete the deposit, you’ll receive a refund when you retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply