Refund of Social Security payments


Q. I am a federal retiree with only 16 quarters paid into Social Security. I know I am not entitled to monthly Social Security benefits when I soon turn 65, but I want to know how I can get a refund of money that was deducted from my salary? It was taken without asking me and is money I earned and feel I am entitled to. My first husband paid into Social Security for 31 years but died at the age of 56. He never got a cent of his money.

A. There is no provision in law that would allow you to get a refund.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply