Survivor benefits


Q. My husband was a civilian federal employee for the past 18 years. He was terminated a year ago and recently passed away. As his wife, what kind of survivor benefits am I eligible to receive aside from his Thrift Savings Plan? Am I eligible to receive survivor benefits from his annuity under FERS?

A. If your late husband didn’t get a refund of his retirement contributions, you’d be entitled to them. To find out, call the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Services Office at 888-767-6738 or 724-794-2305. Be sure to give them his full name, date of birth, Social Security number and the agency for which he worked.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply