Part-time nonfederal work after retirement


Q. I plan to retire soon with over 30 years of creditable federal service time. I will be age 58 when I retire. If I were to take a part-time job (private sector, not federal service) after I retire, would any of my FERS retirement benefits be affected?

A. Your FERS annuity wouldn’t be affected. However, if you were receiving the special retirement supplement, it would be reduced by $1 for every $2 you earned above the Social Security annual earnings limit. For 2013, that limit is $15,120.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply