Q. I retired from the federal civil service in September 2007. Can I be re-employed by the federal civil service since it’s been over six years since my retirement?

A. If you accepted a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment, as a rule, you couldn’t have been re-employed for five years without having to repay the money you got. If you didn’t, you could have been re-employed at any time after you retired.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply