Reserve time and creditable service


Q. I am a retired reservist (27+ years of duty). I retired in July 2012 and I am already collecting my reserve pension. I also have been working for the Department of Justice for about 10 years. I have bought back from the 27+ years of military duty approximately three years of active duty, leaving 24 years of reserve duty. I intend to retire when I hit 62 in July 2014. Can I add the remaining 24 years of reserve time to my FERS calculation when I retire? That would give me about 30 years. I was advised that under Title 10, it is possible as long as I am receiving my military pension at the time I retire from the federal government.

A. No, you cannot get credit for your reserve service, only active-duty service for which you’d made a deposit, something you’ve already done.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply