Deferred annuity


Q. I have worked for the Postal Service for 18 years. If I decide to terminate my employment, will this affect my retirement benefits when I retire? Do I need a minimum of 20 years to get anything?

A. If you don’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you leave, you’d be entitled to a deferred annuity. With 18 years of service, you could apply for it at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply