Military buyback


Q. I’m a current federal employee who was on active duty in the Navy for nine years. How much do I have to pay to get credit for that time?

A. Complete Form RI 20-97, Estimated Earnings During Military Service, and mail it to the finance center for your branch of service along with a copy of your DD Form 214, Report of Transfer or Discharge. When the estimate is returned to you, take it, your DD Form 214, and Standard Form 2803 (CSRS) or 3108 (FERS) to your payroll office and ask them to let you know how much you owe, including accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply