Re-employment with nonfederal agency


Q. I am 57 years old and work for the Defense Department. At age 60, I will have 26 years under FERS. I would like to retire at age 60 and draw my federal pension. Would I be able to work for another nonfederal government agency (say state, county or city) without affecting my federal pension?

A. Yes. However, if you are receiving the special retirement supplement and earn more than the Social Security allowable limit, the SRS would be reduced or suspended. In 2013, the limit is $15,120.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply