Excess contributions


Q. I recently heard that you can only recover three years of excess retirement contributions with interest. I have 44 years and one month of service under CSRS but expect to work at least another year. Will I not be able to recover those contributions past 44 years and 11 months?

A. What you heard was nonsense. You will receive a full refund of your excess retirement contributions, with interest, which you can either accept or use to purchase additional annuity that isn’t subject to the 80 percent limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply