Military buyback


Q. I began my federal civil service just over a year ago and plan to buy back four years of military service. However, with the current budget issues, I am concerned that I will get reduced in force before I am able to complete the five years of service to draw a pension. If that were to happen, would I be entitled to a refund of my deposit, or would I forfeit it?

A. You’d be entitled to a refund.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply