Spouse and FEHB


Q. My husband is a non-fed. I’ve got 28 years in with the Defense Department. I’ve had self-and-family GEHA for all of those 28 years. My husband is three years younger than I am and will retire at 62 (in 2015). I don’t plan to retire until 2016. I know I can carry over my Federal Employees Health Benefits into retirement, which will also insure my husband (due to the annuity I will provide for him from my retirement). If I pass away before I retire in 2016, will my husband be able to maintain the FEHB I have been providing for him all these years after I die?

A. Yes, because he will be automatically entitled to an annuity, out of which the premiums can be paid. Nonfederal employees and retirees can only continue FEHB coverage if they are receiving a survivor annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply