Unfunded service


Q. I will be a 37-year, 55-year-old retiree under CSRS and will be retiring in October 2015. I know I have unfunded service time early in my postal career. Casual, Emergency Rural Sub, etc. And I understand that I can fill out a SF-2803 to find out about payment for those unfunded years. If I do nothing, will the Office of Personnel Management automatically generate a statement for me either during my retirement process, or soon thereafter letting me know of this amount in hopes to raise my annuity by that amount?

A. It is my understanding that they will do that just before your annuity is finalized. That would give you a narrow window in which to respond. Since interest will continue to accrue up to that date, it may make better sense to find out what you owe now.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply