Wrong retirement system?


Q. I just received my federal retirement benefits statement from human resources. I noticed that my prior service (federal law enforcement officer April 16, 1984 to Sept. 27, 1986) is listed as CSRS Offset. I took my current job (federal law enforcement officer March 23, 1987-present) and am covered under FERS. According to the Federal Erroneous Retirement Coverage Correction Act, shouldn’t I have been offered CSRS coverage instead of FERS?

A. No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply