Disability retirement vs. withdrawing FERS annuity


Q. The Postal Service said I could put in for disability retirement, but I may have money in my FERS account. How do I go about checking it, then take the money out?

A. The Postal Service is right. Apply for disability retirement. Your agency personnel office is required to help you to do that. Don’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions. If you do, you will void any entitlement to retirement benefits.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply