Working after retirement


Q. If I retire from the Postal Service at age 56, can I work a part-time job after I retire, or would I lose my benefits? The part-time job would not be for the federal government.

A. You wouldn’t lose any of your benefits if you worked either full time or part time anywhere other than the federal government. If you worked for the federal government, in most cases the pay of your new position would be reduced by the amount of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply