CSRS Offset and Social Security


Q. I am a government worker under CSRS Offset. I was told that I cannot keep working as a government worker full time and draw Social Security at age 66. Is this correct?

A. No. However, it might help if you understood the mechanics of CSRS Offset. As long as you are employed under CSRS Offset, you will receive your full CSRS salary. If you retire before age 62, at age 62, your CSRS annuity will be reduced by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while a CSRS Offset employee. The offset occurs whether or not you apply for a Social Security benefit. If you retire after age 62, the offset occurs on the day you retire. If you are still working when you reach your full Social Security retirement age, you would continue to receive your full salary and you’d be entitled to an unreduced Social Security benefit based on all of your Social Security-covered employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply