FERS transferree and special retirement supplement


Q. I thought I had read that a FERS transferee going out under Voluntary Early Retirement Authority/Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay would not rate the special retirement supplement. I do not recall where I saw this and am looking for verification if I may have misread something.

Is there a special situation being a FERS transferee that would keep one from getting the supplement?

A. You clearly misread something. If you retire under a VERA and/or VSIP, you will be entitled to the special retirement supplement at your minimum retirement age. MRAs range from 55 to 57, depending on your year of birth. Note: The amount of your SRS will be based solely on your actual FERS service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply