Survivor annuity


Q. My mother worked for the Army Corps of Engineers for 25 years, then retired. She got a check each month after she retired from the money she put in during the 25 years. Now that she has passed, and her husband, my dad, passed before her, where is the rest of the money that she paid in? Can I get it? How? I am grown and was not a dependent.

A. If there are any unexpended contributions in your late mother’s account, they would be distributed according to the standard order of precedence. Since your father is deceased, next in line would be any children of the marriage, in equal parts. To find out, call the Office of Personnel Management at 800-767-6738 or 724-794-2005. You’ll need to provide the benefits specialist there with your mother’s full name, date of birth and death, and Social Security and CSA numbers. The CSA number is the one assigned to her by OPM when she retired.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply