RIF, annuity and FEHB eligibility


Q. I am a 53-year-old federal employee with 28 years of service. If I am downsized or affected by a reduction in force, what is the age when I can collect my annuity? As importantly, I have been told by a federal certified retirement planner that because I am over 50 and have more than 25 years of service, when I become eligible to collect my annuity, I may also rejoin the Federal Employees Health Benefits program. Can you confirm that?

A. Because you have at least 25 years of service, if you are separated from the government by a RIF, you are eligible for an immediate annuity. Further, if you were enrolled in the FEHB program before the most recent RIF notice was issued, you can carry that enrollment into retirement without a day’s break in coverage.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply