Retirement contact info


Q. I am a former employee who left employment with the federal government three years ago. I was under the CSRS Offset (23 years). I am 59 years old. It is my understanding that I can apply for my retirement at age 62. How do I go about doing that? Do I contact the Office of Personnel Management in Boyers, Pa. Also, what forms do I need complete? Is it possible to receive my retirement sooner than age 62? Do you have contact information for the OPM office.

I also participated in FERS (Thrift Savings Plan only; no match). How do I access these funds? Do you have the contact information for the TSP?

A. You should apply a few months before your 62nd birthday using OPM Form 1496A. The address is on the form. You can download a copy at


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply