Military buyback


Q. I am a federal employee. I have five years of active Air Force time and have 9½ years of Active Guard Reserve time in the Air National Guard. All of my time is listed on my DD-214s. I have been told if the time is on a DD-214, it is good for civil service time if bought back. I have also been told that only the active Air Force time can be bought back and not the AGR time even though it is on a DD 214. What is the true story?

A. As a rule, active-duty service is creditable for FERS retirement purposes with the payment of a deposit. To see if your active Guard reserve time is creditable, read the guidance at


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply