Medical disability and FEHB premiums


Q. I’m a federal employee. If I receive a medical disability, do I pay the full Federal Employees Health Benefits premiums plus 2 percent?

A. Assuming that you are currently enrolled in the FEHB program, you would pay the same premiums in retirement that you are now paying as an employee. Note: If you are a Postal Service retiree, you’d lose the subsidy gained through union negotiations and pay the same premiums as all other employees and retirees.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply