Annuity eligibility


Q. In 1979, I was a physician in training who was employed at two Veterans Affairs Department medical centers — one in California and one in Michigan. The period of employment was 49 months.

Now that I am approaching 60 years old, I am curious if I have accumulated any benefits from those years of employment. Are there any benefits, such as pension or other types that I should be aware of? If so, how can I learn more?

A. Even if you were employed by the federal government, which is unlikely, you would have had to work for five years full time to be vested in the retirement system and be entitled to any benefits.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply