Deferred retirement


Q. After working for the Postal Service for 20 years, I left service in 2004. I started as an RCR in 1984, and later became an RCA. In 1995, I became a rural carrier full time and was in FERS for nine years. I heard that I can buy more years for my retirement calculations. I turn 62 in December. How do I find out what buying some years will cost, and what forms will I need to have everything ready for December?

A. Only employees can make a deposit to get credit for service from which retirement deductions weren’t taken, and then only if that nondeduction service is considered potentially creditable.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply